Thursday, August 9, 2012

Last Traveling Eucharist

And my last daily post for a while since tomorrow . . . I leave. Eeek! Crazy how quickly this moment has come. As I've been telling everyone here, we found out we were moving on June 7, and bought our house in NOVA on Aug 6. Less than 2 months to wrap my brain around moving cross country. My last big move, from CO to TX, I had 9 months to prepare.

Anyway, today was marked by attending my last traveling Eucharist (Communion). Every summer, St. Mark's suspends its Wednesday night programming, but once a month a parishioner will host the Eucharist and a dinner at his house. Michael and I love these events as they combine our two favorite things: wine and a chance to be with "our peeps" (anyone over the age of 40). Sadly, we missed the July one with all the moving activity and Michael obviously missed today's, since he is already in NOVA, but I wasn't about to miss it, especially since I wasn't able to make church on Sunday.

Tonight's Eucharist was held at George and Diane Rienstra's house. George and Diane were some of the first people who welcomed me to St. Mark's when I started attending with Michael. George has since become my "pew buddy" since both our spouses sing in the choir and we are hence left partner-less for the service. They are a super-sweet couple and (cue the broken record for the last time, I promise! . . . maybe) we will certainly miss them!

As always, Traveling Eucharist was a blast, if a bit bittersweet. It was so lovely to chat with everyone while partaking in some excellent food. Towards the end, after most everybody else had left, Father Frank, Betty, George, Diane and I sat around, making a valiant effort to finish off the wine. Perhaps not the best plan the night before starting a 1000 mile road trip, but completely worth it for the memories made. We're going to miss our church community in Beaumont and are praying for the Lord to swiftly bring us to one in NOVA!

That's all, folks! Wish me luck tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment