Thursday, August 2, 2012

House Packing

Today was packing day. It started last night after bowling, as Michael and I packed up items that the movers wouldn't be taking with them - namely, clothing to last us the next 1.5 weeks. Oh, and our liquor and spices, but I'd already packed those on Sunday. Then this morning, I realized I should probably clean out the refrigerator since today is trash day and we would rather not have that stuff sitting in the dumpster for too long. So, goodbye, everything I hadn't yet given away. Probably tossed about $50 worth of food stuff, which it just killed me to do, but I am pretty proud with how much I was able to use up or give away. What remained was mostly random condiments I bought to try out in a dish and then never finished - oh, and a few cups of homemade chicken broth. Sigh.

I, being the smart one for once, made Michael stay home while I escaped for work. Blessedly air-conditioned work! Yes, we woke up this morning to a non-functioning AC. We tried the same fix for when it went out earlier this summer (turning it off for two hours - the coils had frozen and we just needed to let them defrost) but it didn't work. Fortunately, when we purchased the home warranty for our buyer's benefit, we stipulated that we could use it to fix anything during the sale period. So it was just a service fee to have the HVAC man come out to diagnose the problem, replace the broken capacitor, and recharge the freon. Unfortunately, that didn't happen until 3:00 pm, so Michael and the movers got to swelter in our un AC-ed house. The inside temps rose to only 84 deg F, but still, not my idea of fun!

Anyway, I came home to a house full of boxes. Starting to feel real now - which means I'm feeling a little maudlin. This house really has been a lovely place for Michael and I to start our married life together. Michael did an excellent job picking it out when he moved here and has done so much to improve it, both cosmetically and behind the walls. It was a major step up for me to move in here from my dumpy first house and it has been so fun making it our home. I've never been much of an interior decorator, but Michael enjoys picking out home furnishing and with his help (and healthy dose of HGTV!) we're starting to develop a style together. I'm very excited about our new place (50% bigger!) but I'll miss this little gem.

In our continued goodbyes, we headed over to the Congers to see how their reno is coming along (kitchen and living room look awesome!) and met up Scott at Buffalo Wild Wings afterwards. It's difficult to say goodbye to folks, as I know that is likely the last time I'll see them in quite a while . . . if ever!




Homage to the best commonwealth in the nation.
Homage to the best state in the nation!




1 comment:

  1. I didn't know West Virginia was a commonwealth. I learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete