Saturday, January 6, 2007

1/5/2007

Random thoughts from Naomi:

Not only does Beaumont/Mid-County (as Nederland, Groves, Port Neches, etc. are lovingly called) lack mountains, they also lack any hills at all. And when I say no hills, I mean none! No hills to take a tumble down, no hills to sit on and enjoy a cool breeze (not that there are any), no hills to spend a fun afternoon ice blocking. It is this last point that brought this subject to mind. My friend was commenting on the fact that she has no idea what sledding is like. Trying to sympathize, I suggested ice blocking as a poor (snowless) man's substitute and then realized there is no place to do so. We sat for a while and tried to think of a hill in the area, but the only thing we came up with was the highway overpasses . . . somehow, we didn't think those were appropriate!

What Beaumont lacks in hills and snow, though, it makes up for in fog. It is incredibly foggy here. The weird thing is, when I look outside, to me it looks like it should be really cold and about to snow, and then I go outside and it's warm. I think my body's all confused . . . plus it makes driving home at night an adventure!

During my latest such fun drive, I was getting my 80s music fix via the radio when a commercial for an auto body shop came on. The closing line was "at Apollo, your body is their business." I can only imagine if I turned on the radio and just heard the end of the ad. I'd probably be envisioning a gym or a tattoo parlor or an organ harvesting company. I'm sure the double entendre is intended, but still . . . I'm glad I heard the full ad first.

No comments:

Post a Comment