Sunday, June 18, 2006

6/18/2006

I love dancing! I love salsa! I love swing! I'm so upset that I can only go once a month and next month is during turnaround! . . . So yeah, I went dancing a lot this weekend. On Friday I (and my roomie) met up with a bunch of people from that rival refinery ;) to go salsa dancing in Beaumont. On of the live music clubs puts on a salsa night once a month. It was tons of fun (aside from the drunken Navy minesweeps who kept hitting on me and Katrina. You'll be happy to know, Peter, I did try to minister to them by teaching one of them how to salsa, but after one too many times of his hand 'slipping' from my shoulder blade to my extreme lower back, I had to call it quits . . .). Afterwards, a few of the people came over to see the house and attempted to keep me up. I don't think I've been up that late since my freshman year in college!

Saturday night was swing dancing at Taft Street Coffee in Houston. When we were waiting in line to pay, I noticed the books that were displayed had titles like Orthodoxy and Faith of My Fathers. I was starting to get suspicious, and my suspicions were confirmed when I walked in the room and saw large crosses on the walls. Sure enough, Taft Street Coffee is also the meeting place of a Houston church, Ecclesia. I thought (because of Orthodoxy) that it was a Catholic ministry, but upon looking at it's website, it's a non-denominational outreach church. Probably not one I would enjoy, since I'm rather traditional and intellectual in my style of worship, but none the less, it was cool to see a church reaching out to a group (as I know from my swing days in Denver) that does not necessarily have much of a Christian influence.

Anyway, swing dancing was a blast. It's been so long since I have been and it felt so good. Frank and I even tried a few small aerials, although I told him we'd have to practice the ones that consist of me being flipped a few times before I consent to doing them on a concrete floor! :)

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got rid of the sailor. they will lead a young lady astray if they can. I know I married one.

    Love,

    G. Barr

    ReplyDelete